I’ve been making chicken enchiladas for years, while they are a hit with my family, I have to admit that I’m ashamed for using canned red enchilada sauce. After tonight, that has changed! I tried this quick and easy chicken enchilada recipe out on my family, making my own “made from scratch” enchilada sauce. I have to admit, these enchiladas taste better than the enchiladas that I have been making for years.
Don’t let the “made from scratch” enchilada sauce scare you away from making this awesome dish. Seriously, these are the quickest enchilada that I have ever made. So easy in fact, that they are perfect for a weeknight meal or anytime you have less time to cook. This recipe calls for using a purchased rotisserie chicken which cuts down on cooking time. But you can use left over chicken as well. The mild sauce is a kid-friendly. Feel free to add some ground red pepper (1/2 teaspoon) to add kick, but in my family, we keep it mild.
Not only are these enchiladas kid-friendly, but with less than 250 calories an enchilada, they are mom and dad friendly too!
The chicken mixture in these enchiladas is moist, creamy, and full of flavor. The black beans are a yummy addition. You’re going to love the melted cheese and olive topping.
Wow after a busy workday, a commute home, and making a quick and fabulous dinner for my family, I still have time to wind down and watch a Real Housewives show. I call this my perfect weeknight!
Skinny Chicken Enchiladas
Adapted from Cooking Light, July 2013
Serves 6 (2 enchiladas each)
- 3 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
- 1-cup chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1-tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 1-teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 12 corn tortillas
- ¾ cup pre-shredded 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese
- ¼ cup sliced olives
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Pre-heat broiler to high
- In a medium saucepan, add stock, tomato sauce, flour, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt to saucepan; stir with a whisk. Bring to a boil over high heat; cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Reserve 1 ½ cups sauce mixture and put aside.
- Add shredded chicken and beans to pan with the sauce mixture, cook 2 minutes or until chicken in thoroughly heated.
- Stack tortillas; wrap stack in damp paper towels and microwave at HIGH for 25 to 50 seconds. Spoon about ½ cup chicken mixture in center of each tortilla; roll up. Arrange tortillas, seam sides down in bottom of a 13 x 9 inch glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with reserved sauce, cheese, and olives. Broil 3 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and sauce is bubbly. Top with cilantro. Serve with salsa.
Serving Size 294 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 95
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10.6g16%
Saturated Fat 3.0g15%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrates 73.7g25%
Dietary Fiber 15.8g63%
Vitamin A 17%•Vitamin C 7%Calcium 15%•Iron 31%
Nutrition Grade A-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet