Summer is coming to a close and now it’s time to start cooking warm and comforting meals, such as this quick and easy posole. Posole is a Mexican stew normally made with pork. However, this posole does not contain any meat, perfect for vegetarians, making it more of a soup rather than a stew. Use either chicken or vegetable stock in this recipe.
Customize your posole with toppings such as, diced avocado, sliced radishes, fresh cilantro, and a twist of lime. This is such a healthy, quick and easy go to recipe, one that you will make over and over again.
I'm going to put on my pajamas, curl up on the couch with a throw blanket, have a nice bowl of this posole, while watching one of my favorite reality shows. After such a busy week at work, I’m ready for this perfectly seasoned and comforting soup.
6 tomatillos, papery layers and stems discarded, roughly chopped
1 large red onion, peeled and roughly chopped
2 jalapenos, seed removed and roughly chopped
1-tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
Coarse sea salt
5 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock
3 large springs of cilantro
1 28-ounce cans hominy, drained and rinsed
For the garnish:
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- Small handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 radishes thinly sliced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- On a sheet pan or in a large baking dish toss the tomatillos, onions, and jalapeños with the olive oil to coast, and add a large pinch of salt. Roast for approximately 20 minutes, stirring a few times, until they’re soft and a little browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Once cooled, transfer the vegetables to a Cuisinart with 1 cup of the stock and puree until completely smooth. Transfer the mixture to a large pot along with the rest of the stock, cilantro, and hominy. Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes to 20 minutes. Season the soup to taste with sea salt.
Nutrition Facts - Does not include toppings
Serving Size 402 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 39
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4.3g
Saturated Fat 0.6g
Total Carbohydrates 24.0g
Dietary Fiber 4.6g
Vitamin A 2%•Vitamin C 14%Calcium 3%•Iron 6%
Nutrition Grade A-
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet