I'm berry sad that during the final week of summer, I made this simply sweet and delicious triple berry crisp, and didn't post it on the blog before fall. Will you penalize me for not following the rule of posting only seasonal recipes on food blogs? In my defense, I do work 9 1/2 hour days, plus commute 1 hour home, only to come home to care for 3 dogs, and prepare my family dinner. Yes, you have heard this all before in my previous blog posts, and believe me...my hubby hears it all the time.
What I'm not telling you is...I caught up on my Real Housewives shows, started pinning on Pinterest again, and spent some time shopping! I actually took some time for myself and away from my blog. Oops, I confessed!
Well, I'm not going to hold out on this exciting vegan crisp recipe any longer, and decided it is best shared, even if out of season. Every cook should have a great vegan dessert recipe on hand, and this one is perfect and sure to please any vegan or non-vegan. Plus, it's skinny in calories and luscious tasting too. No need to worry if you don't have the same selections of berries used in this recipe. Any combination of berries will do, even if you only have 1 type of berry on hand. Have fun with this triple berry crisp and use your fingers to blend the topping, It's good to play with your food.
I have another confession…I like to eat this triple berry crisp for breakfast. It makes me berry happy!
Triple Berry Crisp [Vegan]
Ingredients for Filling:
1 ½ cups blueberries
Juice from 1 lemon
¼ cup Agave
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Ingredients for Topping:
1 cup rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
½ cup whole-wheat flour
½ cup non-hydrogenated, nondairy butter such as Earth Balance Buttery Spread
¼ cup firmly packed organic light brown sugar
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Have ready and ungreased 8 or 9 inches casserole dish, or square baking pan at least 2 inches deep. For individual servings, bake the crisp in ramekins and place on cookie sheet.
- To make the filling, in a medium-size bowl, combine the washed berries, lemon juice, agave, and cornstarch.
- To make the topping, in a medium-size bowl, combine the oats, nuts, flour, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Use your fingers to blend in the butter. The topping should be crumbly and have the texture of wet sand. Add more butter if it is too dry.
- Sprinkle the topping over the fruit mixture; make sure it’s evenly distributed. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the topping has browned and the fruit is bubbling. Remove from the oven and serve hot, warm, or at room temperature. This is great served with frozen vanilla yogurt.
Skinny Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 145 g
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 192
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21.4g
Saturated Fat 3.7g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Total Carbohydrates 34.5g
Dietary Fiber 6.2g
Vitamin A 2%•Vitamin C 29%Calcium 4%•Iron 9%
Nutrition Grade B
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet